Music Theory Semester I
1. Study of primary materials (overtone series, pitch, rhythm, triad & 7th chord spelling, diatonic triad & 7th chord functions)
2. Voice leading (melodic principles, chord voicing, parallelism)
3. Part writing (connecting root position chords)
4. Harmonic progression (sequences, diatonic chord functions, overtone series)
Music Theory Semester II
1. Harmonic progression (sequences, diatonic chord functions)
2. Triads in 1st and 2nd inversion, figured bass
3. Non-harmonic tones.
4. Cadences, Phrases and Periods.
Music Theory Semester III
1. Diatonic 7th chord inversions
2. Secondary functions
4. Introduction to Formal Analysis
Music Theory Semester IV
1. Mode mixture, Neapolitan chord
2. Augmented 6th chords
3. Enharmonic modulation
5. Introduction to set theory
6. Introduction to 12-tone serialism
Aural Skills Semester I
1. Melody: identifying scale forms, conjunct diatonic melodies, modes, arpeggiations of tonic and dominant, sequence identification.
2. Harmony: identifying I and V triads, major, minor and diminished triads, ii and IV chords, harmonic rhythm, error detection.
3. Rhythm: dictation of half-beat values, identifying duple and triple subdivision, syncopation of half-beat values, error detection.
4. Sight singing: stepwise melodies, intervals, scales, rhythm reading through simple syncopation and compound meter, melodies emphasizing tonic, subdominant and dominant harmonic background.
Aural Skills Semester II
1. Melody: Melodies outlining I, V, and vii triads, intervals, errors in melody, melodies involving larger leaps, two-part dictation.
2. Harmony: Identifying I, ii, IV, and V triads and inversions, four-voice dictation, harmonic rhythm and non-harmonic tones, all diatonic triads and inversions, error detection.
3. Rhythm: Dictation of quarter-beat values, error detection, triplets, more complicated rhythms.
4. Sight singing: Melodies emphasizing I, ii, and V harmonies, intervals, more complicated rhythms, modulating melodies, triplet and subdivision of compound meter rhythms.
Aural Skills Semester III
1. Melody: two-voice dictation, harmonic intervals, phrase relationships and cadence, modulation to closely-related keys, error detection.
2. Harmony: Identifying 2nd inversion chords, non-harmonic tones, V7 and inversions, vii7 and inversions, modulations to closely-related keys, non-dominant 7th chords, and foreign key modulation.
3. Rhythm: compound meter with sub-beat values, triplet subdivisions, two-voice rhythms, error detection.
4. Sight singing: Modulation, subdivision in compound meter.
Aural Skills Semester IV
1. Melody: Identifying modes, modulation to foreign keys, identifying phrase relationships.
2. Harmony: Identifying secondary dominants, dictation of four-part chorales, identifying Neapolitan and augmented 6th chords, error detection.
3. Rhythm: Dictation with changing meters, identification of super triplet, error detection.
4. Sight singing: Modal melodies, singing chord factors, Impressionistic melodies, twelve-tone melodies, rhythmic reading including changing meter, asymmetric divisions.